VA National Center for Patient Safety
Resources for Veterans and Family Members
- Make the Connection
- Coaching Into Care
- Web-based Self-Help Courses
• Moving Forward (Problem Solving Training)
• Anger Management
- About Face
- Risk Factors Associated with Falling and What to Do When You Fall, provided by VISN 8 as a guide for patients on blood thinners and the risks associated with falls
- The CDC "STEADI Program" *† offers a variety of patient educational materials, some of which is available in multiple languages.
- Five Steps to Safer Healthcare
- University of California, San Francisco, offers a brochure, "Patient Safety & You"*† and patient safety page, Patient Safety*†
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's "20 Tips to Help Prevent Medical Errors"*
- Learn more about medication safety
- A comprehensive drug reference that helps answer your medication questions*†
- Patient and Nursing Home Resident Rights and Responsibilities from VHA outlines basics regarding respect, nondiscrimination, information disclosure, confidentiality, participation in treatment decisions and complaints.
- The ACCE Healthcare Technology Foundation has published two brochures entitled Home Medical Device: Can I bring my own medical device with me to the hospital*† (Spanish version)*† and Fire Safety and Oxygen: A Patient Guide*† (Spanish version)*†
- 4 Tips Minimize Injuries from Falling as You Age, from Inside Edition*†
Osteoporosis in Men
A 13-minute video on osteoporosis was prepared by the VISN 8 Patient Safety Center of Inquiry, funded by Merck & Co, Inc., and produced by the University of South Florida Health Media Center. The approach is unique, as it has a special focus on men, unlike many osteoporosis educational materials. It’s designed to teach men about osteoporosis risks, prevention and diagnosis.
Click here to view the video, “Osteoporosis Occurs in Men, Too.”
The video is not closed captioned. Here is a transcript.
*By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.
†VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Web site.