VHA National Center for Patient Safety
VA Care is Safe
VA health care is as safe or safer when compared to care received outside of the VA.
VA Care is High Quality
VA strives to provide the highest quality care possible every day.
VA Care is Patient-Centered
VA aims to put the Veteran at the center of their care and give them the tools necessary to achieve the desired outcomes.
The National Center for Patient Safety (NCPS) promotes best practices for safe patient care and optimal patient care utilization throughout the organization. Accordingly, NCPS guides the VHA and external stakeholders on policies and strategies to do the following:
- Measure and mitigate harm to the Veteran and those who support their care;
- Track utilization and address deficient patient admission and discharge practice;
- Model characteristics of a High Reliability Organization including promotion of clinical team training and a just and safe culture; and
- Evaluation of healthcare solutions, technology, and innovations from a patient safety and value-based perspective.
Patient safety managers at VA medical centers and patient safety officers at 18 VISNs participate in the program.
The following program offices report to NCPS:
- Product Effectiveness (PE)
- performs independent assessments and analyses on healthcare solutions to include technology, programs, processes and services to ensure they are effective and meet the needs of the organization.
- Utilization Management (UM)
- provides vital tools to manage quality and resources. The program provides consultation services and evidence-based practices to ensure Veterans receive the right care, in the right setting, at the right time, for the right clinical reasons.